TR4 hi-torque starter problem

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4 hi-torque starter problem
From: "J.C. Hassall" <jhassall@blacksburg.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 15:49:26 -0800
Listers,

I've fitted a hi-torque starter to my completely rebuilt and balanced
TR4 engine.  When I installed the ring gear on the Aluminum flywheel,
I installed it in the correct orientation for a Lucas starter, then
had the assembly balanced.  Now I see that the gear should have been
installed "wrong way round" (tooth bevel facing forward) to mesh with
the new starter.

The starter pinion meshes well with the ring gear, but doesn't
disengage.  So I guess it's meshing a bit too well.  I haven't
installed the gearbox as yet, so am able to watch the entire
process.  It takes a heft push on the pinion to disengage it.  The
ring gear is brand new and might wear in after running a bit, but
since I have to break in the cam at 2500 RPM for 15 minutes I don't
want to ruin the starter right off the bat.  I could try increasing
the spring force on the pinion return spring, but that's masking the
symptom, rather than solving the problem.

Before I cuss some more and remove the flywheel to remount the ring
gear and hopefully be able to have it re-balanced, any thoughts?

TIA

Jim

--
Jim Hassall
'64 TR4 in autox prep: 90% finished, 90% to go

===     http://www.vtr.org