re: TR4 steering rack compatability question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, oshwega@yahoo.com
Subject: re: TR4 steering rack compatability question
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 01:23:37 EST
For my late production TR4 CT22362 (improved mounts) steering rack I was able
to get a brand new 'pinion gear' Moss $35 and a good used 'rack' bar from
Triumphs Only ($85.00 - I dug through about 15 racks - mine had worn out teeth
right in the center position), new boots from TRF $14. I simply pushed out then
rotated the 'end tube bushing' to eliminate its worn-in pattern. The 'ball
ends' play was taken-up by removing shims.
You might be able to locate and fit a low mileage TR6 rack on your late TR4.
And I believe TRF sells rebuilt racks.
If you have an original rack don't let it go until you are sure the
replacement is going to match up and steer satisfactorily.
If you go with a 'quick ratio' rack you might need the original 16" steering
wheel for leverage!
Carl
'63 TR4 since '74