RE: Spitfire Carb

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Spitfire Carb
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 15:55:55 -0800
> If I hold the carb piston down just a little the engine sounds better.
> (I have 30 weight oil in the damper).  Does this mean I need richer
> needles in the carbs?

Do you mean with the engine idling, or running no-load at 4000 rpm ?

> Also, out of curiosity, how far up do the carb pistons normally move at
> say 4,000 rpm.

They're not linked directly to rpm, but rather depend on how much air the engine
is flowing, which in turn depends on throttle opening and rpm, how restrictive
the exhaust is, and so on.  With no load, it doesn't take much to keep the
engine turning at 4000 rpm, so I wouldn't expect much piston movement.

Before trying a richer needle, I'd try setting the mixture rich and see how that
affects performance in the area where you are having problems.  The spring will
also affect the mixture curve, so it would probably be a good idea make sure
you've got the right springs (and they're not damaged or worn) before going any
farther.

Also, note that a richer mixture will frequently help cover up ignition
problems.  Have you replaced the points & condenser, checked the dwell, etc ?

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org