Spitfire Carb

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire Carb
From: Roger Elliott <elliottr@rmi.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 14:57:57 -0600
Hi Everyone

I am working on my 1980 Spitfire that I have converted to dual SUs.  The
carbs were leaking around the throttle shafts, so I replaced those.

The car was sill not running right so I replaced the wired, distributor
cap, rotor and plugs.

It is running much better  While checking things out in the driveway I
noticed around 4,000 rpm it starts sounding a little rougher - not like
it is missing more like it is running out of steam.

If I hold the carb piston down just a little the engine sounds better.
(I have 30 weight oil in the damper).  Does this mean I need richer
needles in the carbs?

While I don't remember the number the needles I am using are the ones
that the used with the European setup.

Also, out of curiosity, how far up do the carb pistons normally move at
say 4,000 rpm.

Thank you,

Roger Elliott
1980 Spitfire