RE: TR4 Starter Q

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR4 Starter Q
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 19:00:35 -0800
> What happened to me was as follows:
>
> I  had a TR3A with a flywheel complete with a bolt-on ring gear.

Which of course is "correct" for later TR3A.

> Perhaps you have a TR4 with a shrink-on ring gear.

Just went through this with a local club member.  If you've used the early
starter with the late flywheel until it doesn't work, the starter pinion
will likely be what's ruined.  Easiest solution is to buy the right starter.
At least for my friend, the ring gear was OK.

But he didn't get "no nothing", instead the starter would audibly spin
(those things are NOT quiet) but the engine would only sorta turn at first,
which progressed to just turning a little bit then stopping while the
starter continued to spin.

Both bolt-on and shrink-on ring gears are readily available ... my choice
after going to all the work of pulling the gearbox would be to replace a
defective gear.  After all, the engine doesn't always stop in the same
place, and it will be a PITA if it happens to stop in the bad spot.

BTW, I advocate stopping the engine with the clutch after turning off the
key.  In addition to avoiding run-on, this avoids the "one spot" wear on the
ring gear.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org