RE: ammeter replaced with idiot light?

To: jmitch@snet.net, triumphs@autox.team.net, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: ammeter replaced with idiot light?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 07:32:58 -0800
> For instance, the charging
> system may not be keeping up with the task at hand (isn't charging, but
> barely keeping up with demand, eventually leading to a worn down battery)
> and the indicator lamp won't be illuminated, or if it is, it will be so dim
> as to not appear to be.

Just to be clear, it should not be illuminated at all under these circumstances.
And a dim glow generally indicates a problem elsewhere, not with the generator
itself.

It also may not come on even when the generator is not working at all, depending
on what the fault is.  Which, I believe, is why the owner's manuals don't call
it a generator light at all but rather an ignition warning light.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org