RE: ammeter replaced with idiot light?

To: "triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: ammeter replaced with idiot light?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 21:32:06 -0800
> Please don't flame me, but just what good does an ammeter do?

Not much, if you don't understand it.  But once you do, it says a lot, including
whether you have a short at the moment or not and whether your generator is on
it's last legs.

>  Couldn't it's
> function be shown by an idiot light (maybe one of those dimmer-brighter type
> bulbs showing degree of brightness/charging with dim glow/brightness.)

Probably, but with the materials available in the 50s, an ammeter was a lot
easier to build.  Remember, no transistors, and tubes able to carry normal
charging current cost as much as the car did (not to mention having a short life
span and being fragile).  If you've ever had a TR3 ammeter apart, you'll see
there isn't much in there.  Just a single turn of wire and a needle with a hair
spring.

For that matter, all the gauges could be (and have been at one time or another
on other cars) replaced by idiot lights.  Personally I prefer the gauges, my
only complaint is that there aren't more of them.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org