Re: ammeter replaced with idiot light?

To: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>
Subject: Re: ammeter replaced with idiot light?
From: Barry Schwartz <v6spitfireguy@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 05:32:07 -0800
>Please don't flame me, but just what good does an ammeter do?  Couldn't it's
>function be shown by an idiot light (maybe one of those dimmer-brighter type
>bulbs showing degree of brightness/charging with dim glow/brightness.)
***********************************
Paul,
It's a much better indicator of what the charging system is doing.  An
idiot light doesn't always indicate a problem.  For instance, the charging
system may not be keeping up with the task at hand (isn't charging, but
barely keeping up with demand, eventually leading to a worn down battery)
and the indicator lamp won't be illuminated, or if it is, it will be so dim
as to not appear to be.  If one had an ammeter installed, one will clearly
see that the charging system isn't keeping up and can avoid the eventual
stranded with low battery charge - and a system using lights or LED's
indicating charging is basically a higher cost ammeter - Actually an
ammeter in conjunction with a volt meter is the best, but probably
overkill.  I've had both and I prefer an ammeter myself -

Barry Schwartz (San Diego)