RE: TR3 running hot

To: <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 running hot
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 18:04:26 -0700
> I'd be interested in an explanation of pusher versus
> puller fan efficiency.  I had previously read that the
> fan mounted behind the radiator is the better choice.

The problem as I see it is that the fan louses up the relatively smooth airflow
into the radiator at speed.  You can see somewhat the same effect by squirting a
hose at a window screen ... the screen has plenty of open area but it louses up
the water flow and makes it turbulent, leaving no pressure behind the screen (to
force the air through the radiator fins).

And even when running, the fan doesn't move air at 70 mph, so it is no use at
those speeds.  The fan only assists low speed cooling, the ram air effect is
what provides cooling at freeway speeds.

Randall