Re: TR3 running hot

To: <ols@bcdef.net>, <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR3 running hot
From: "THOMAS FANSHER" <tfansher@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 13:08:37 -0400
I guess I'll wade in ---
My TR3A '61  TS76120L "always"  had a problem running hot in South Carolina,
from 1972 till 1977. Then it ran hot in Georgia from 1977 till 1981 and then
ran hot in Central Florida from 1981 untill I added the electric fan in
front of the radiator. I found one with a variable thermostat at a local
parts store - can't remember which one - that was
the same as, but cheaper than one I had seen from the big three.
I had already had the radiator recored with a heavier duty core and had not
reinstalled the crank hole. I did not install the six bladed water pump, but
probably would have done that next. It does not run hot anymore and I don't
see any difference in the highway driving speeds, either.
On the 62 TR4 I did not recore the radiator, I just added the pusher
electric fan first and have had no problems with overheating since, did blow
two head gaskets before the electric fan, though.
That's just my two cents worth and what has worked for me.
I wired both off the battery, a relay probably would be a good idea.
Tom
61 TR3A
62 TR4
73 Stag
I wish the Stag could be that easy, I'm thinking a recore is in line for
her, too. Maybe an upgrade in the A/C department, too. Haven't really
decided yet.