RE: Clutch MC Rebuild

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Clutch MC Rebuild
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 17:55:00 -0700
> Since I have been through about everything else in the car except the
> clutch MC and slave cylinder and I am having a little more difficulty
> shifting the gearbox

Aaron, I just wanted to point out that such problems are not always the clutch's
fault.  There is a bearing between the transmission input shaft and the
crankshaft, if that bearing drags it will act just like a dragging clutch, and
cause difficult shifting.  The alignment is important, and the two "dowel bolts"
that set the alignment on a TR6 are frequently missing or replaced with ordinary
bolts.

> I am wondering about the experience of the list in
> rebuilding these components.

The TR3A components are fairly similar internally to the TR6 clutch MC, and I've
generally had good luck rebuilding them.  The key issue is that the bore has to
be smooth.  If there is any pitting at all in the area the seal contacts, it
must be removed.  Light pitting can sometimes be successfully removed by honing,
but heavy pits require boring and sleeving the cylinder.  This is a job best
left to professionals.

> or if
> it is just throwing away good money on nothing.

The clutch MC seal kit should only be $10 or so ... worth a try, maybe.

> Also, it
> looks as though at least one of the seals in the MC is deteriorating
> since the fluid is cloudy

I assume you know, but JIC ... if you're using glycol-based fluid, it should be
changed every few years.

Randall