RE: SU H6 rebuild

To: "'John A. Wise'" <Wise@erau.edu>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: SU H6 rebuild
From: "Michael Marr" <mmarr@nexant.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 17:22:49 -0600
>As I remember it, it was not a complex task.  But I am looking for
>any words of advice or paths that should not be followed?

Correctly centering the jet is critical.  I do this by assembling the needle
to the piston and assembling the piston/needle and dashpot BUT NOT THE
SPRING to the carb body.  I then install the jet and tighten the jet
clamping nut loosely.  I then hold the carb so the piston is vertical and
lift the piston and let it drop.  If the jet is centered, the piston will
make a metallic sounding "thunk" when it drops.  If the jet is not centered,
the needle will rub on the jet and stop the piston from falling all the way.
If this is the case, loosen the nut, pick up the piston, let it drop and
re-tighten the nut.  Do this until the jet nut is fully tightened and the
piston drops fully and makes that satisfying sound.  Then disassemble the
dashpot cover and piston, install the spring, and reassemble.

This is the way I do it but I make no claim to this being the only way.  I
am sure there are others out there with other methods that work equally well
or better.

Michael J. Marr, P.E.
Naperville, IL
1960TR3A