RE: SU H6 rebuild

To: "Michael Marr" <mmarr@nexant.com>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: SU H6 rebuild
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 17:17:53 -0700
At 17:22 -0600 15/12/04, Michael Marr wrote:
> >As I remember it, it was not a complex task.  But I am looking for
> >any words of advice or paths that should not be followed?
>

>Correctly centering the jet is critical.  I do this by assembling the needle
>to the piston and assembling the piston/needle and dashpot BUT NOT THE
>SPRING to the carb body.  I then install the jet and tighten the jet
>clamping nut loosely.  I then hold the carb so the piston is vertical and
>lift the piston and let it drop.  If the jet is centered, the piston will
>make a metallic sounding "thunk" when it drops.  If the jet is not centered,
>the needle will rub on the jet and stop the piston from falling all the way.
>If this is the case, loosen the nut, pick up the piston, let it drop and
>re-tighten the nut.  Do this until the jet nut is fully tightened and the
>piston drops fully and makes that satisfying sound.

That sounds similar to what i have hear & remember.  I also have the
little jet centering tool that came with my "SU Tool Kit" that I
bought 30 years ago for my first rebuild.  That supposedly holds the
jet centered in relation to the piston while you snug up the jets &
then you replace the tool with the needle & follow the process you
described.

>Then disassemble the
>dashpot cover and piston, install the spring, and reassemble.

That is something I did not remember...

>This is the way I do it but I make no claim to this being the only way.  I
>am sure there are others out there with other methods that work equally well
>or better.

Thanks for confrming some of my very rusty memories...

>Michael J. Marr, P.E.
>Naperville, IL
>1960TR3A

John A. Wise, Ph.D., CPE