Re: TR6 - suspension bushings, urethane vs. nylatron?

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 - suspension bushings, urethane vs. nylatron?
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 01:22:18 -0000
Hi Greg
I have used Superflex Polyurethane bushes all round on all three of our
cars. They did introduce a slight noise increase, we have a road locally
which is concrete slabs with tar joints which had a complete skim of tarmac
all over when wear started to show. Before the bushes there was no sign of
the joints, after the bushes the joints could be detected but only quietly,
a person whispering would overpower the sound.
The difference in handling however was incredible, the car seemed to handle
so much better, no rear end wiggle, turn in crisp and I think it also
reduced body roll though I cannot reason how or why!
In short the improvement was sufficient to convince me to bring forwards the
fitting of polyurethane bushes on the other cars to immediate rather than
soon!
If you fit aluminium rack mounts only fit the one at the pinion end, use a
polyurethane one the other end as there is (should be) a nylon plug in the
steering rack on the passenger side which puts a slight bias on the rack to
reduce mechanical impact and therefore noise caused by bumps in the road.
To be honest I suspect that a pair of new rubber mounts fitted properly i.e.
pushed up to the flanges on the rack would be adequate. I have 2 cars with
alloy mounts and one with polyurethane, and I doubt if most of us could tell
the difference without looking!

Graham.