RE: Gasket Goo

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Gasket Goo
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 06:33:12 -0800
> Randall is the HPF clear and un-missable on the box or tube,

I just looked, on the tube I have, the "HPF" is the same type as "HYLOMAR"
and appears just under it.  ISTR it came on a card with similar markings,
but I don't have the card anymore.  I think this is it, tho.
http://www.permatex.com/heavy_duty/Transmissions.asp?automotive=yes&f_call=g
et_item&item_no=25249

> I think there is a possibility they have
> changed ours as I thought the last lot I used became tacky during
> application making it harder to apply evenly, is this a symptom
> that we have
> been provided with the same stuff?

Certainly sounds like it to me, the original Hylomar remained smearable for
many minutes while as you say, the new stuff becomes tacky almost before it
comes out of the tube.

It's curious, I couldn't find any place on the Permatex (the company that
sells Hylomar HPF in the US) web site that mentions what solvent it uses.
One place says "Contains no ODC/VOC solvents", while another says "VOC
content 2%" <g>

On the Hylomar LTD (vendors of Hylomar in the UK) web site, it says the
solvent is Dichloromethane, which I don't think is what the original used
(unless perhaps we call it something else).  Unfortunately I don't recall
what it said on my last tube of genuine Hylomar, which I threw away without
realizing I couldn't just run to the store for more.

So my _guess_ is that it's been reformulated on both sides of the pond,
perhaps differently.

Randall