TR4 steering rack lube?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4 steering rack lube?
From: "J.C. Hassall" <jhassall@blacksburg.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 11:10:49 -0500
All,
I've rebuilt (ok, cleaned, measured and reassembled) my TR4's steering
rack.  While grease (per original shop manual) seems appropriate for the
gear, what about lubricating the "knuckle" at the rack end of the tie
rod?  No way grease from the rack is going to get there.  ISTR someone said
they use 90WT gear oil (although no joy with an archive search, so maybe my
recollection is wrong) which seems like it should reach the knuckle.

'K, here's the question: what's the list.consensus for  the best way to
lube both the gears and the knuckles?

TIA

Jim

--