Re: Tr3 wiring harness replacement querys

To: sasjzl@netzero.com ("Jim Lee"), triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tr3 wiring harness replacement querys
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 11:17:31 -0500
In a message dated 11/19/2003 10:27:59 AM Eastern Standard Time,
sasjzl@netzero.com writes:

> ...The only
> thing that comforts me is that if I had to [rewire] one the TR3 might well be
>my
> choice as the place to start....

I agree. So long as you ensure before you start that you have the correct
wiring diagram for your car, it's time consuming but not all that difficult.

> ...disparity in the cost of a wiring harness.  I haven't a recent catalog
> from TRF but Moss shows a 'lacquer braid' MAIN HARNESS for my TS50550 for
> $268.35 whereas Vicky Brit shows a 'Complete PVC' for $159.95 although less
> headlamp and steering column.  Headlamp wires only add $8.95 at Vicky Brit.

What you're seeing is the difference between an exact original style
replacement for earlier cars (lacquered, cloth-covered wires and a cloth wrap
on the harness) and a "serviceable but not quite as original" harness with
PVC-coated wires and plastic wrap. The lacquered, cloth-covered harnesses are
much more expensive. TRF shows a range from $159.95 for a PVC to $239.95 for
the lacquered/cloth harness. Prices may vary by $10 or so, depending on exactly
which part number you need.

Another potential source is British Wiring (www.britishwiring.com). They don't
show prices online; you need to request a price quote. But they're probably
pretty much in line with everyone else.

If you're not an absolute slave to originality, a PVC harness is just fine, and
it might even last longer. On the other hand, you've gotten -- what -- 44+
years out of the original? :-)

--Andy Mace