tars? wheels?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: tars? wheels?
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 16:31:47 -0500
I'm looking for recommendations.  I'm about to put new (to use NASCAR
terminology) tars on my GT6.  I have two basis questions.

1.  Wheels.  I'm running the original 4.5x13 wheels, but also have a
set of 5.0x13 wheels that came off my '80 Spitfire when I put the
alloy wheels on.  I was told that one of those was bent enough to
make balancing them problematical, but I did drive the Spitfire on
them for many years.  For, say 175/70 tires, is there any *real*
advantage in 5.0" wheels over 4.5"?  The 5.0" will be slightly
heavier and (obviously) wider.  Anyone want to argue that I should
put the alloy (Panasport copies, perhaps Minotaur?) on the GT6
instead of the Spitfire, and put the steel wheels (of either size)
back on the Spitfire?  The Spitfire is more agile so I tend to toss
it around more, but I don't push either car as hard as I would have
when I was younger. :-)

2. Tar sizes and brands.  I'm leaning toward 175/70, probably
BFGoodrich Radial T/A, or maybe Bridgestone Potenza, or maybe maybe
Goodyear Integrity (because that's their only 13" tire, I think), or
maybe Dunlop...or possibly the, no, no, I give up!

So, what'l it be?  Which wheels, which tars?

Tanks!

Jim Muller
muller@pop.rcn.com