RE: silicon brake fluid-my story

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: silicon brake fluid-my story
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 17:19:23 -0800
> I lost track of who started this thread, but I must ask...Why bother?
> I tried silicon fluid in a totally new/rebuilt TR6 brake system, including
> pipes, and all I can say in favor is that it won't eat paint.

Rick, you'll get no flames from me.  If it works for you, go for it !

But if glycol works so well, why did you have to rebuild your brake system ?

Except for seals and soft lines, the entire hydraulic system on my 59 TR3A
is just as it was when I got the car 20 years ago (meaning probably original
except for the rear brakes that were swapped out before I got the car).
There is no corrosion anywhere in the hydraulics (except what was there
before I switched to DOT 5), and even the seals last a lot longer than they
used to with glycol.  I lost my previous TR3A due to a hard line corroding
from the inside out, I'd just as soon not repeat that experience.

I'm a fairly aggressive driver, and I drive my TR almost every day year
round on Los Angeles freeways.  There's nothing soft about my brake pedal,
and when I climb on the brakes I worry about the car behind me, not the one
in front of me.  (Yes, my TR will out-stop most cars on the road today.)
Spending an extra $20 on "lifetime" brake fluid instead of cheap stuff that
rots in a year or two just seems to make sense to me ...

Randall