RE: Silicone Brake fluid

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Silicone Brake fluid
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 13:50:35 -0800
> At 9:46 AM -0500 11/14/03, Percybal@aol.com wrote:
> "Sorry to jump rather late in the fray here, however is anyone aware of  a
> new type of fluid based on silicon ester chemistry?  I don't believe this
> is the same as silicon. I understand it has a high boiling point and is
> miscible with DOT3-4 fluids."

Philip E. Barnes replied :

> I believe you are refering to DOT 5.1 brake fluid. From what I have heard,
> it has all the benefits of silicone-based fluids without the compatibility
> problem.

Not quite.  DOT 5.1 is still hygroscopic (although not as strongly as DOT
3/4), and will still eat paint.

Percybal@aol.com asked :

> Is it commercially available these days?

Both DOT 5 and 5.1 are available in some stores, but since they are
substantially more expensive, don't expect to find them at Wally Mart.  I
buy my DOT 5 from TRF.

Randall