re: saab turbo'd engine in tr7 ?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: re: saab turbo'd engine in tr7 ?
From: Nicholas Froome <listreader@pvision.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 23:19:55 +0000
>Just a foot note about the Rover V8 for TR7 (which I personally would have
>thought was the obvious and best conversion).
>
>This comes in two versions.  The car (SD1) version with a 9.35:1 compression
>ratio, and the Land Rover/Range Rover version with CRs from 7:1 to 8.5:1
>depending on year and model.
>
>I would just like to note two points:
>
>First, one of the LR/RR versions may naturally have a more appropriate CR if
>you intend to supercharge.
>
>Second, in order to resolve power steering pump clearance problems, the LR/RR
>version has a modified water pump housing, such that the water pump and the
>fan are about four inches higher up than on the car versions.  This may mean
>the motor is a less easy fit in the TR.
>
>You can tell the difference on a naked block by looking at the left side
>between cylinders 3 and 5, where the engine number and compression ratio are
>stamped.  9.35:1CR means it is a car block.  Anything lower is LR/RR.

And the best version of the engine is the later 3.9 litre fuel-injected
version. I don't know if you have them over there, but the 3.9 (aka 4 litre)
engine is a firm favourite over here

The (rare) Rover Vitesse had a twin-plenum fuel injection version, but most
people end up with a Range Rover 3.9 and are very happy

It'd make a TR7 fly and, of course, all the conversion parts are readily
available - in the UK, at least

Nick Froome
http://www.bolide.co.uk