re: saab turbo'd engine in tr7 ?

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: re: saab turbo'd engine in tr7 ?
From: "Peter Logan" <logan@pt.lu>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 09:27:57 +0100
Just a foot note about the Rover V8 for TR7 (which I personally would have
thought was the obvious and best conversion).

This comes in two versions.  The car (SD1) version with a 9.35:1 compression
ratio, and the Land Rover/Range Rover version with CRs from 7:1 to 8.5:1
depending on year and model.

I would just like to note two points:

First, one of the LR/RR versions may naturally have a more appropriate CR if
you intend to supercharge.

Second, in order to resolve power steering pump clearance problems, the LR/RR
version has a modified water pump housing, such that the water pump and the
fan are about four inches higher up than on the car versions.  This may mean
the motor is a less easy fit in the TR.

You can tell the difference on a naked block by looking at the left side
between cylinders 3 and 5, where the engine number and compression ratio are
stamped.  9.35:1CR means it is a car block.  Anything lower is LR/RR.

I can post or send pictures of the two engines if this would be helpful.

Pete