Re: TR6 Bearing Number Questions and Project Update

To: "J.Cole" <cole.jw@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 Bearing Number Questions and Project Update
From: Bill McLeod <wbmcleod@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 00:44:15 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
If the bearings do not have numbers after the main number, particularly
if they are Vandervell, they are standard.  The numbers you quote are
for standard bearings. Vandervell have a little logo on them similar to
the VW logo (in a circle).  If the bearings are standard and are not
totally worn out, I would look with suspicion at your micrometer.  But
what does the end float have to do with main and rod bearing size?  End
float measures the fore and aft play of the crankshaft, and is related
to the thrust washer size, not the bearing size.  The thrust washer also
has an oversize written on it after the part number.  The original
thrust washer part number for your engine is either 144195 or 149551.
Best regards, Bill
Slightly Classics, Tucson