Re: HS4 & Air cleaners

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: HS4 & Air cleaners
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 17:19:08 -0500
On 10 Nov 2003 at 12:40, elliottr@rmi.net wrote:
> I have a set of SU HS4 on my 80 Spitfire that work great.
> My airfilters are are held on with at bolt...
> So my question is, are my carbs unusual?

My GT6 came from the factory, uh, no, make that from the DPO, uh, no,
make that from the DPO-squared, with a brace of HS4's and K&N air
filters.  The serial numbers on the carbs indicate that they came
from an '80 MGB, I believe.  No, scratch that. (I plead a poor memory
combined with a glass of ale).  The ID numbers on the needles
indicate an '80 MGB.  The carbs themselves seem to be older, judging
from their adjustability.  The mounting bolts for the air filters go
through the bright chrome housings, through flanges on the carbs, and
into nuts.  Yes, they are a pain, but that's the only way they'll
work because bolts themselves fint into square holes on the housings
so they won't turn.  The flanges have no threads, I believe.  Are you
carbs unusual?  Prob'ly not.  Unusual for a Spitfire, yeah.
Rhetorical question:  How often do you remove the air cleaners
anyway?

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller@pop.rcn.com