RE: Voltage Stabilizer TR4A

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Voltage Stabilizer TR4A
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 14:46:00 -0700
> I am replacing the third
> voltage stabilizer on my TR4A since I've installed an alternator
> Does anyone
> think there is a cause and effect here?
> The first VS worked for 35 years, the second (used) for 2. Should I expect
> another 35 or another 2 years?
> There is no apparent voltage fluctuation from the alternator as I
> am running
> both an amp and a volt gauge.
> What is causing the failure? Old age or the alternator some how. I guess I
> always thought volts were volts no matter where they cam from.

Jerry, I agree with you, I don't see any reason the alternator should cause
problems with the VS.  After all, the TR5/250/6 used them together, as does
my Stag (and AFAIK all Triumphs after about 1968).

My guess would be that your first unit failed just due to old age, and the
second one was defective somehow.

Someone has been making solid-state replacements, but I don't have the
contact info handy.  Used to be on this list, and advertises one on eBay
about once per month.  NFI, etc.

Of course, I'm assuming you've double checked that your units are really
bad, and it's not just a dodgy ground connection or something ...

Randall