RE: Old car question, some LBC

Subject: RE: Old car question, some LBC
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 14:38:00 -0700
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> I suppose there is a logical explaination such as dodgy lucas connectors
> and coincidence but from where I stand I would only be guessing.
> Electronics back in 1952 were not self healing.  Still aren't (well except
> for some film type caps but they aren't damaged by reverse polarity
> anyway).

This is beyond my expertise ... but it's been my experience that some old
electrolytic caps will indeed, self-heal.   My understanding is that if
they've not been used for a long time, or had reverse polarity applied, the
thin oxide layer that is the actual dielectric can go back into solution in
the electrolyte, which greatly increases the leakage.  If you apply a DC
voltage of the correct polarity to them, the oxide layer will grow back over
a period of time.  The trick lies in holding down the heat caused by the
leakage current, low enough to not boil the electrolyte or otherwise damage
the capacitor.   I haven't played with antique tube radios in many years,
but it used to be SOP to bring them up slowly if they hadn't been powered
for several years, and this is one of the reasons.

So I'd guess it's at least possible that Don, by design or accident, managed
to apply power in short enough bursts to not overheat the caps (which can
make them blow up !), and they eventually healed enough to work.

"Sometimes the magic works, sometimes it does not" - Chief Dan George,
"Little Big Man"

LBC content : I'm glad I put on my Jim Donato aluminum flywheel even behind
my current, stock and very tired, TR3 motor.  Although I don't have any
before and after performance numbers, the car seems more nimble and
accelerates quicker in 1st gear, in spite of (or perhaps because of) the
slightly taller 1st gear ratio (caused by going from the 3-synchro to the
4-synchro box).  I do have to pay a bit more attention to launches (and
shifts), but I wouldn't call it difficult to launch, just different.  Yes,
I've killed it a few times, but at least part of that is not having the
clutch fully sorted yet.

Randall