Voltage Stabilizer TR4A

To: "Gerald Van Vlack" <jerryvv@alltel.net>
Subject: Voltage Stabilizer TR4A
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 18:44:19 -0400
Cc: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net> 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id h8JMkPF8025807
Message text written by "Gerald Van Vlack"
>Here is one for the electrical engineers on the list. I am replacing the
third
voltage stabilizer on my TR4A since I've installed an alternator Does
anyone
think there is a cause and effect here?
The first VS worked for 35 years, the second (used) for 2. Should I expect
another 35 or another 2 years?
There is no apparent voltage fluctuation from the alternator as I am
running
both an amp and a volt gauge.
What is causing the failure? Old age or the alternator some how. I guess I
always thought volts were volts no matter where they cam from.
JVV
<

What kind of failure are you having?  Gauges reading too high or not at
all?  The former may be caused by a poor ground to the case of the
stabilizer.  Quite improtant.

The latter is probably caused by corrosion on the contacts of the
stabilizer.  Popping in another stabilizer of unknown origin means you are
changing one 30 year old part for another.

Dave