re: Transport of Parts to Canada

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: re: Transport of Parts to Canada
From: Doug Hamilton <douglasehamilton@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 16:22:10 -0600
Be very careful with using UPS to ship from the USA to Canada they
charge outrageous brokerage fees( 15-50% of the combined value of the
item, shipping and taxes for processing the customs paper work). I've
had much better luck with the postal service for items within their size
limits shipping costs a little less than  UPS ground, they charge a flat
$5.00 brokerage fee and they tend to be faster than UPS ground by a good
2-3 days.
To avoid paying duty have the shipper write PARTS FOR CAR OVER 25 YEARS
OLD on the customs form and state TARIFF CODE 2441 you will still have
to pay GST.
If you can get the shipper to file the forms correctly you can ship the
package with you as the customs broker. Then when the package arrives at
the shipping depot they will call you to go collect the documents for
the package from the shipping co.  You then take them to your nearest
Canada Customs office to pay the GST owing and get the documents
stamped. After all that you can drive back over and get your parcel. In
the past Fedex has had more reasonable brokerage fees than UPS but it's
been a few years since I've shipped anything but paper work with them.
I've now learned if it can't be sent parcel post it not worth sending
from the US to Canada.

Doug Hamilton