Re: oily spark plugs

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: oily spark plugs
From: Chris Kantarjiev <cak@dimebank.com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 14:11:05 -0700 (PDT)
#5 is wet, right? Let me guess, you're running a stock manifold,
where the PCV inlet to the manifold is at #5? That's where the oil
is coming from.

The question is "why" - what changed? Did you, by chance, just
add an external oil feed to the cylinder head? Change to a
different weight oil? You might have a blocked drainback in
the cylinder head, or your rings have suddenly worn enough to
trip over the blowby limit. Take a look inside the valve cover
while the engine is idling and see what you see.

One way or another, you're getting excess oil out through the PCV
system. You could run a hotter plug here to try to keep it from
fouling out (I did this for a few years on my 4A with similar
problems) but you will really want to address the underlying problem.

chris