RE: an invisible leak??

To: "'Jim Muller'" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: an invisible leak??
From: Mark Hooper <mhooper@pix-cinema.com>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 23:11:02 -0400
Jim:

Even with stuck floats, as you know the carbs only empty into the cylinders,
not the oiling system. You would have to have very considerable ring gap to
pass that much fuel due to gravity feed with tank full and still be able to
start the car without having a fluid lock that would prevent the motor from
turning over. you can fill up the cylinders with prestone/water and have it
set there forever. I suppose gas would dissovle the between piston skirt and
cylinder wall and get down easier than water, however prestone will emulsify
oil too. I am told that 99% of the time it's the pump since it opens right
into the cam gallery. Have you tried taking off the pump and leaving it
connected to the fuel line and in a jar or can to see if fuel seeps out?
Lying in a can on the floor would be about double the pressure it normally
sees and should at least leak a little if it has a problem.

Mark