Re: an invisible leak??

To: Jim Muller <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>
Subject: Re: an invisible leak??
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 21:05:20 -0600
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Jim Muller wrote:

> So today I rebuilt the fool pump on the GT6 as per the suggestions of
> the kind folks herein.  For those with short memories, my motivation
> was the discovery that my oil was both more voluminous and thinner
> than it should have been.  (I can think of no other way for fool to
> have gotten into the sump.  Surely if I had stuck carb floats I would
> have seen big clouds of black smoke.)
>
> To my surprise, on opening up the fool pump I was unable to observe
> any alleged leak in the diaphram (diaphragm?).  It is possible for
> there to have been one or more leak with no visible indication?

Stretch the diaphragm in every direction while holding it up to the light. I
think you'll find a small crack opening up when
doing so.

If it's really pristine, then the other possibility is lots of starting and
stopping with high underhood temperatures. The
manifold will cool faster than the fuel in the well, and cause it to
thermosiphon out of the jet. Do that often enough, and
the amount of fuel could be enough to thin the oil. If you've been having any
hard starting (long cranking times when hot), I
would expect thermosiphoning to be occurring.

Cheers.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM (yes, _that_ Roswell)

Don't let people drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance.