RE: an invisible leak??

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: an invisible leak??
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 22:16:06 -0700
> So today I rebuilt the fool pump on the GT6 as per the suggestions of
> the kind folks herein.  For those with short memories, my motivation
> was the discovery that my oil was both more voluminous and thinner
> than it should have been.  (I can think of no other way for fool to
> have gotten into the sump.  Surely if I had stuck carb floats I would
> have seen big clouds of black smoke.)

Not necessarily.  If it's only a tiny leak, the engine may well be able to
handle that much fuel while it's running.  However, all it takes is a tiny
trickle over several days of non-operation to dilute the oil.  Generally
this is only possible if the fuel level in the tank is higher than the
carbs, as it might be with a full tank or parked facing downhill.

Don't recall who it was, but someone on the list had this exact problem just
a few months ago.

> To my surprise, on opening up the fool pump I was unable to observe
> any alleged leak in the diaphram (diaphragm?).  It is possible for
> there to have been one or more leak with no visible indication?

Depends on what you look for.  I've certainly seen them be porous without
any visible indication, except for fuel deposits on the wrong side.  In my
case, it was apparently a case of both an old diaphragm and another NOS one
not withstanding our "reformulated" gasoline.  One way to check is to
reassemble the pump, and bench-test it with fuel.  Plug the outlet (I think
a 5/16 flare plug will work, if you can find such a thing), hook up the
inlet to a small can of fuel, and work the lever to build pressure.  Leave
it for several minutes, then check inside the body for traces of fuel.

Randall