Re: Overheating in a TR4

To: <MARamos@smart.com.ph>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Overheating in a TR4
From: "Kinderlehrer" <kinderlehrer@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 13:32:48 -0700
From: <MARamos@smart.com.ph>
To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Monday, May 19, 2003 12:23 AM
Subject: Overheating in a TR4

> Hi List,
>
> My wife and I finally got to take our TR4 on a long trip yesterday.
> Yahooooo!  Man, it was FUN!  Our group was composed mainly of Corvettes (6
> cars), a Z3, a modified Miata and a Honda S2000.  Being the smallest (and
> the slowest) car in the group, we were at the tail-end of the pack.  We'd
> usually lose them on long straights but we'd eventually catch up in the
> twisties (and traffic).  It was definitely a great drive!
>
> I did encounter a problem on our trip back though which I would like to
> consult the list about.  The engine appeared to run hot (almost
overheating)
> when I'd run fast but it would slowly return to normal when I would slow
> down.  I'd check the water in the radiator whenever this would happen but
it
> would alway be full.  I had the auxilliary fan running throughout the trip
> but this didn't seem to help much.
>
> What could be causing this?  Help ...

Define fast? If you were crusing at 90MPH without OD on a 90 degree day in
Manila, it isn't too surprising :-)  In addition to the suggestions
regarding the valance and timing, another thing to consider is the auxillary
fan you mentioned.  It may be blocking air flow and not have enough umph to
compensate at speeds.  The thing that seems to make the most difference in
my car is the water level.  Even if it's down only a quart it will tend to
heat up at speeds, particularly if the ambient temp is above 70 F. Water
wetter seems to help, but I can't prove that.
Bob