RE: Tail lights

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Tail lights
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 13:20:50 -0700 FILETIME=[255AB2D0:01C3198D]
> I have misplaced my Dan Masters TR6 electrical book so I will ask y'all's
> opinion.  My brake lights work only when my headlights are off.  When my
> headlights are on the only rear lights that work are the tag
> light, the back
> up light and the side part of the tail light that wraps around.
> I had read
> that bad grounds will mess up the rear lights so I previously had cleaned
> all the connections AT the lights.  Obviously that didn't work.
> Other than
> the possibility of the bulbs being burnt out, where else could the problem
> be?

Nelson Riedel has written up the problem and the cure, at
http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/Electrical/TR6Sockets/TR6Sockets.ht

(If you can't cut&paste that link back together, go to
www.buckeyetriumphs.org
and click on 'Technical', then scroll down to "Repairing TR6 taillight
sockets")

FWIW, the taillamp sockets I got from both TRF and James Paddock (in the UK)
were not the same as original, and needed to have a ground wire added.
Seems they gave up on the connection that fails (my Stag had it too), and
took the much more positive approach of having a separate ground terminal.
A definite improvement IMO, but you may have some trouble sourcing the right
mating connector for the ground tab.

Randall