Pad, packing, between bonnett/thermostat housing

To: Bruce Clough <clough@erinet.com>, Lou Metelko <lmtr4a@ctlnet.com>, Darrell Floyd <TR250Driver@aol.com>, Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>, Anthony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>, Bill DeWar <pcdelux@worldnet.att.net>, Mark Rollinson <MROLLINSON48843@aol.com>, Gerald Van Vlack <jerryvv@alltel.net>, TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Pad, packing, between bonnett/thermostat housing
From: "James R. Holekamp" <jholekamp@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 07:04:26 -0500
Here's a recap of comment and information confirming the presence of a
fiber pad between the underside of the hood (bonnett) and the thermostat
housing of some TR4s (probably late) & TR4As:

Randall Young (tr list) writes:
"FWIW, my 1st edition TR4A SPC lists a "617034 Pad, packing, between
bonnett
and thermostat housing".  But no illustration, unfortunately."

Moss Europe lists part no 617034, 30 pence each, in their price list but
according to email I exchanged w/ Tejinder Matharu of Moss Europe, they
have no stock on hand and don't know when the part will be available -
if ever.

Anthony Rhodes (tr list) writes - and started this discussion:
"My quite original TR4A which is undergoing restoration had a fiber pad
which measured 2" diameter and about 5/8" thick attached to the
underside of the hood directly over the thermostat housing.  (I suppose
to protect the hood from excessive shake and striking the housing).  My
pad is very deteriorated.  Does anyone know more about these pads?"

Bill DeWar, NJTA (tr list) writes:
"A previous TR4A I owned (now in a new home) still had the pad under the
hood. CTC63801L. Not sure
if new owner removed it. Or it may have fallen off by now."  also:

"CTC71806LO  a TR4A still has the original fiber "hockey  puck" on hood
underside. I have only seen them or glue patch evidence on 4A's. Put
there to prevent backwards dimple from thermostat housing that was
common on TR4's."

from the tr list:
"My TR4A came with it. At least it was there when I bought the car with
12,000 miles in 1969. Remains of the glue patch are all that is there
now.
Jerry Van Vlack
CTC69150L 1966"

Mark Rollinson, Detroit area, who I met at Mid Ohio and VTR Red Wing
last summer & owns TR4 CT36460L, a very original unrestored low mileage
car  previously owned by his father, which has the pad still on the hood
(bonnett) underside, made this comment by email to me recently:
"That fiber "biscuit" is still a rarity. I have yet to spot another on
another TR4. And I wonder if they even installed that biscuit on
TR4A's. I just don't know. But you have the correct idea behind the
installation of the biscuit. Although I've never seen it
addressed in any manual but I do believe Triumph installed it to help
steady the bonnet.".

My '64 TR4 CT38895LO, acquired in Germany in '67 (13,000 miles
indicated), had this fiber pad until the car was repainted in '95, when
what remained of it was removed and not replaced.

I think Lou Metelko's comment (tr list) is very reasonable:
"Although that disc is not mentioned in the current edition of the TRA
guide for the 4 & 4A, thanks to the members of this list, next edition
will
state  "make no deduction for presence or absence of an approximate 2
1/2"
diameter fiber buffer that was glued to the underside of the hood to
eliminate
contact between the hood and thermostat housing. There is no deduction
for the
authors feel that it was not a universal fitment" "

I promise to make no further comment about this very obscure subject -
unless I receive an email message from Moss Europe that the pad has
suddenly become available!

brgds, Jay