RE: Help! End of my line re starting TR3 on frame

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Help! End of my line re starting TR3 on frame
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 22:03:49 -0700
> I can sit behind the engine and turn the flywheel by
> hand. With spark plugs in, it's pretty difficult, but
> possible. With plugs out, I can spin the flywheel
> somewhat easily. I can manually pull out pinion of
> mounted starter and fit it into flywheel, but (as I
> said) it's TIGHT. Very little room to spare and it
> binds enough to sick. The engine had a standard
> rebuild, with one difference: It has the rear seal
> conversion kit. This produces at least a different
> appearence where the flywheel bolts, but perhaps it is
> causing the flywheel to protrude out beyond factory
> specs? This is my only guess.

The flywheel must not touch anything in this area, except the end of the
crankshaft.  Therefore, it is located only by the crankshaft, which in turn
is located by the thrust washers inside the engine.  So, it all has to be in
the right spot.

However, it's worth double-checking that there is no interference anywhere,
and that the bolts for the clutch cover don't protrude through the flywheel.

> If you have had this
> conversion done, please chime in and let me know if it
> required any modification to flywheel. Other than
> that, it's stock. I just have engine on frame. No
> gearbox. Therefore the starter is bolted just to
> engine, in the wide open and for easy viewing. All
> starters appear to be mounting nice and flat and
> level. Hard to tell though.
>
> ANY more diagnostics I can offer (I can take any
> pics/video clips needed) PLEASE let me know! I'm
> really frustrated right now. I'm sure I'll feel better
> in the morning. Please offer your insight even far
> fetched ideas. :)

Several things to look at :

1) Does the starter spin the engine smoothly with the plugs out ?  With the
ignition disconnected ?
2) Does the clearance between the pinion and ring gear change as the
crankshaft turns ?
3) Does the surface of the flywheel move in and out relative to the block,
as it turns ?

Ok, this is a definite bodge ... but try using one undersized bolt in the
starter so you can move it out a bit, and get enough clearance for the
pinion to keep it from binding.  Of course the bolt must be tight when you
try to crank the engine, but maybe with a little extra clearance in there
you can get it to turn and see what the problem is.  You've got me wondering
if your block was mis-machined at the factory, or possibly has warped in the
starter mounting area.  Stranger things have happened.

Randall