Help! End of my line re starting TR3 on frame

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Help! End of my line re starting TR3 on frame
From: richard triplett <rtriplett25@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 20:12:07 -0700 (PDT)
After a long process, I finally got the rebuilt engine
back on frame with necessary accessories to get it
started for 59 TR3A(manifolds, dist, etc etc) back
around January.  For those that haven't followed my
progress since, here's a recap:

Put on pre-50000 flywheel (original I believe) with
gear reduction starter from TRF. Tried to crank, but
pinion and flywheel wouldn't even think about meshing.
Found out the starter was for post 50000. No prob,
trip to dad's and brought back post 50000 flywheel.
Starter barely engages (MUCH better than before
though), and won't disengage. No prob, got original
starter: Was spinning really slowly, due to excessive
length of jumper cable and subsequent lack of current
to starter. Brought battery right beside starter, and
got the old starter to spin OK. Barely engages and
spins the flywheel half a turn and bogs down. Also,
won't disengage (have to push pinion out of flywheel).
Grrrr. OK, maybe flywheel is wrong. (it's all rusty
anyway). Find someone willing to part with really nice
post 50000 flywheel. I finally got it put on tonight
and tried it with 2 original starters and gear
reduction starter. Results?

All barely engage (it's tight) and spin flywheel OK
for half a turn. Gear reduction starter spins the
flywheel faster, but still it bogs down halfway
through (maybe during compression stroke?) and catches
up and spins OK for another half a turn. Maybe
spinning at 30 RPM. Original starters spin more like
15-20 RPM. All of the starter's pinions must be
manually disengaged, due to slight binding in
flywheel. Arrrrgh, I'm STUMPED! Here's a bit more
info:

I can sit behind the engine and turn the flywheel by
hand. With spark plugs in, it's pretty difficult, but
possible. With plugs out, I can spin the flywheel
somewhat easily. I can manually pull out pinion of
mounted starter and fit it into flywheel, but (as I
said) it's TIGHT. Very little room to spare and it
binds enough to sick. The engine had a standard
rebuild, with one difference: It has the rear seal
conversion kit. This produces at least a different
appearence where the flywheel bolts, but perhaps it is
causing the flywheel to protrude out beyond factory
specs? This is my only guess. If you have had this
conversion done, please chime in and let me know if it
required any modification to flywheel. Other than
that, it's stock. I just have engine on frame. No
gearbox. Therefore the starter is bolted just to
engine, in the wide open and for easy viewing. All
starters appear to be mounting nice and flat and
level. Hard to tell though.

ANY more diagnostics I can offer (I can take any
pics/video clips needed) PLEASE let me know! I'm
really frustrated right now. I'm sure I'll feel better
in the morning. Please offer your insight even far
fetched ideas. :)

Cheers,

Richard
Los Alamos, NM