Re: TR4 (A)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, wtrrtw@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: TR4 (A)
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 04:18:37 EDT
Russ,
Late TR4 hoods got a change to the rear rubber cushions - from flat pads to
conical points - affecting the hood in the two rear corners (minor metal
pieces were added to the hood to recieve the conical cushions affixed to the
tub rather than just the flat sheet metal hood).
Are you sure you have a 1964 car? My car was first sold in '64 but according
to my CT223236 number (and BMHIT certificate) it was built in England in
April 1963.
I don't think any other changes were made to the hood up to TR250 except
maybe a safety catch on the latch mechanism.
I am sure it was common to fit TR4A hoods to TR4s - when digging through the
junk yard finding good hoods wasn't that easy even in the 70's.
Do you have the TR4A running lights and chrome strips on front fenders?
The frames were indeed labelled - I have frame "C". A tag is brazed topside
of crossmember below crank pulley with a letter on it. I don't know how high
they go - at least up to "C" .. maybe more.
ps; I also put in a TR4A dash brace for its good looks in the 70's but this
time around going back to TR4 version - you get a little more knee room - and
at 6'2" I can use it.
But the TR4A exhaust manifold is better than the TR4 type which hadn't
changed since the TR2.
A telltale item that might tell you if motor is '63 or '64 would be the
emissions setup. If you don't have any emissions controls you might be '63.
Carl
'63 TR4 since '74 .. still 25 miles from San Francisco where it was first
shipped!
---------------------
I bought my TR4 for a driver, no interest in 'showing' it but wanted
it to look good...and it does.  Except I knew up front it was not
correct as it had a 4A hood badge and dash support. I decided to work
slowly on replacing the 4A items and getting it back closer to
original.  Now that I've located a proper TR4 badge, I find that I
may actually have a 4A hood...I was told by the DPO that the 4A badge
had been glued on but when I popped the 4A badge off, the holes are
not the same spacing as my 4 badge.  What gives?  Any other
differences between the 4A and 4 hoods?  My commission number is no
help either as it shows a 64 TR4 O L and it has neither O nor L.  I
know I have a morph. But it's pretty.....I suspect more and more that
it was built from a 4 and a 4A.  Running gear is 4 but
body/hood/interior? seems to be 4A (the grill is definately 4.)  Are
there any 'hidden' commission numbers on the frame such as US cars
use?
Russ Locke
'64 TR4 or ?
San Antonio