spot weld removal

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: spot weld removal
From: "scotts junk" <smacsjunk@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 22:34:17 -0600 FILETIME=[6C5292D0:01C316AD]
I'm in the process of replacing the rear wing on my Mk3 GT6, which involves
taking out about 300 spot welds. Picked up 3 handy dandy little spot weld
removers, thinking that would be plenty - wrong. After about 8 or 10 welds,
a tooth breaks off, quickly followed by the remaining teeth. Have I just
picked up a poor quality brand? Am I missing something in the technique
(been real careful to keep the tool centered on the punch mark after the
first one jumped off and insantly snapped a tooth)? Does the fact that about
half the welds are near enough the edge of the flange that the tool is
operating over the edge damage it? Should I just bite the bullet and spend
more on spot weld removers than I paid for the new wing :->?? Any thoughts
or experience in this area appreciated.

thanks
Scott