RE: TR3a cold start

To: "'Randall Young'" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3a cold start
From: "David A. Templeton" <davidt@opentext.com>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 23:41:52 -0400
> > - float bowls have gas in them before start
>
> How do you know?  Have you tried pumping up the priming lever?

Are we talking the same thing? I am saying the float chamber on the side of
the carbs.  I opened them both before cranking and they have gas in them

> It couldn't hurt to check the voltage at the coil, while you
> are cranking. It should be at least 9 volts or so.
yes

> Also couldn't hurt to double-check the primary resistance on
> your coil.  If
> it's under about 2.5 ohms, you need either an external
> ballast resistor or
> the right coil (and probably another set of points).

the resistance was 3.5ohms

the end result is, I just took the charge off and tried to start the car, no
choke and bingo, 5 cranks and she started like nothing had been wrong.
Could I be suffering from a combination of cold start & a not fully charged
battery?  I will retry in the morning.

Thanks so far
David Templeton
'59 Triumph TR3a