RE: TR3a cold start

To: "David Templeton" <davidt@opentext.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3a cold start
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 18:21:42 -0700 FILETIME=[597140B0:01C315C9]
> - float bowls have gas in them before start

How do you know?  Have you tried pumping up the priming lever?

> - check the plugs and they are wet with gas after the initial
> cold cranking

The plugs shouldn't be wet, you're getting too much fuel.  Sounds to me like
you're using too much choke.  It doesn't take much, I only pull the knob 1"
or so.  Also check that the jets are pulled down by the same amount and
adjust the linkage until they are.

> Does anyone have any other ideas?

If you are routinely wetting the plugs, fresh plugs may help.  Even brand
new plugs can get glazed, which can make the engine very hard to start cold.

>  Can I
> check anything else? Is there some voltages I should be checking before
> initial cranking?

It couldn't hurt to check the voltage at the coil, while you are cranking.
It should be at least 9 volts or so.

Also couldn't hurt to double-check the primary resistance on your coil.  If
it's under about 2.5 ohms, you need either an external ballast resistor or
the right coil (and probably another set of points).

Randall