Re: TR3a cold start

To: "David Templeton" <davidt@opentext.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR3a cold start
From: "Kinderlehrer" <kinderlehrer@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 20:01:20 -0700
> Now that the water pump is in the '3 I want, of course, to drive it more
but
> I am having a bit of trouble just jumping in and going. There is no go. I
> pull the choke and crank and crank and crank.  It just won't start of
course
> after long enough the battery drains and on goes the charger, after a
period
> of charging I try again and a very strong crank she fires easily.
>
> So, off I go driving, when I stop the engine and it is still warm, starts
> easily on the first crank. Even if I leave her for hours to cool off, she
> will still start easily. Once I put her away for the night or a couple of
> days then we are back to the hard start issue.
>
> Some observations:
> - The battery cranks strong at first like after a charge
>
> - float bowls have gas in them before start
>
> - no more leaking carbs either
>
> - check the plugs and they are wet with gas after the initial cold
cranking

> - the points are the right gap
>
> - the plugs are the right gap
>
> So, it sounds like there is not enoungh juice in the battery to do the
> initial start, so I will put a trickle charge on the car and see if that
> makes a difference in the morning.  Does anyone have any other ideas?  Can
> check anything else? Is there some voltages I should be checking before
> initial cranking? Any more info needed?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Signed puzzled
> (aka: David Templeton)
> '59 tr3a
.
David, I hate to ask the obvous, but are the chokes working properly?
Doesn't sound like the battery as long as it's turning the engine, you
should be able to start it with the hand crank and that sure doesn't spin
the engine very fast.  Did you try spraying some starter fluid in the carbs?
If that get's it running my guess would be chokes aren't richening the
mixture enough.  But hey, that's just my guess, I could be wrong.

Bob