Re: Dot 5 vs. Dot 4 or 5.1

To: knut@skoglund.com
Subject: Re: Dot 5 vs. Dot 4 or 5.1
From: "Rick Barnard" <rstirb2@townisp.com>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 19:00:05 -0400
Cc: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Hi Knut,
        I will speak in defense of the good old cheap DOT3 or 4 fluid.  Just
don't
spill it on your paintwork.
        This is one of those subjects that generates heated discussion.
        I have tried both.  When my car was fresh-rebuilt, I used DOT 5 -
silicon.
After 3 years my brake MC started to act funny.  That is, I would apply the
brakes
once, and the pedal would not return for a while.  Not good.  I asked the
rebuilder
(Apple Hydraulics) and they said don't use silicon, as it makes the seals
soften.
        I converted to DOT4 (Girling LMA) and so far so good after 2 years.
Also,
the DOT4 gave the brake pedal a more solid feel, which is more to my liking.
The
DOT5 made the brake pedal slightly squishy.  And yes, it was thoroughly bled.

        Best Regards,
        Rick   1973   TR6  CF2570U