Re: Dot 5 vs. Dot 4 or 5.1

To: Knut Skoglund <knut@skoglund.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Dot 5 vs. Dot 4 or 5.1
From: "Scott A. Roberts" <herald1200@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2003 12:05:15 -0400
Go with the DOT 5 Silicone fluid- When I rebuilt my Herald, using all
rebuilt or new brake parts, I installed silicone fluid from the beginning.
Took a little bleeding, but got her bled out nicely. She stops quite well,
with no issues, good firm pedal, in cold or hot. I have the Spitfire front
disc setup(fully engineered for disc, not Herald add-on) and it is great
with them.

Stop wasting your time debating and referencing- just go with it, and once
you're done bleeding it, and feel the brakes you'll realize it was worth
it... With regard to bleeding, fill the system with the bleeders open
slightly, with a hose from each going into a little glass mason jar- put
about 1.5"(something metric, not sure what- but I refuse to fully subscribe
to any system that exact) of fluif in it, and have the hose drop into it.
once you fill the reservoir, just go through and start shutting bleeders
when the level rises in each. Then let it sit a couple days, as all the air
bubbles will head to the highest point- silicone holds air bubbles. Then
bleed as regular, being sure to keep refilling reservoir. Also, when filling
reservoir, use a knife or something to pore against- for some reason pouring
onto something creates less agitation and air bubbles than dumping into a
res.

As to expense, JC Whitney in the US has a quart for about $16 US. My local
auto parts store carries it about $7. pint. I keep a pint on hand for top
offs- every few weeks with discs, because as they wear, the fluif level
drops a little.

Scott

Sent: Monday, May 05, 2003 9:27 AM
Subject: Dot 5 vs. Dot 4 or 5.1