RE: TR3 Front Fender Closeout Panels

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR3 Front Fender Closeout Panels
From: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 09:49:53 -0800
>      I've been debating whether I should install the closeout
> panels in the
> front fenders that isolate the rear half of the fender. When I
> first pulled
> them out, the area was very rusty and full of dirt. It doesn't
> look like the
> new panels seal all that good, even with the rubber strips. It seems like
> leaving them out would prevent buildup behind them and
> consequently not let the
> rust form. The only reason that I want to install them (besides
> originality) is
> so that I won't get drafts coming through the hole where you
> access the bolt
> for the rear of the fender. I may just silcone on a patch over
> the hole to
> prevent the drafts.

Bill, I don't know if all body tubs are the same in this area, but on all of
my TR3As, there has also been a sizeable gap between the inner fender and
the scuttle.  If the seals are bad, this allows cold air to blow into your
lap.  Of course, they can also be sealed up.

The other thing I would worry about is a buildup of mud and dirt inside the
rear of the fender, which will hold moisture and promote tinworm.  Without
the seal, you'll have to be careful to clean the area.

I agree, the replacement seals/panels fit atrociously.

Randall