TR3 Front Fender Closeout Panels

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3 Front Fender Closeout Panels
From: bbrewer@qnet.com -bs
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 16:26:18 GMT
     I've been debating whether I should install the closeout panels in the
front fenders that isolate the rear half of the fender. When I first pulled
them out, the area was very rusty and full of dirt. It doesn't look like the
new panels seal all that good, even with the rubber strips. It seems like
leaving them out would prevent buildup behind them and consequently not let the
rust form. The only reason that I want to install them (besides originality) is
so that I won't get drafts coming through the hole where you access the bolt
for the rear of the fender. I may just silcone on a patch over the hole to
prevent the drafts.
     I have been driving without these panels for almost 8 years and haven't
had any problems with rocks being thrown up behind the wheels and denting the
fenders.
     I rarely drive it in the rain or the snow.
     Are there any other reasons for why these panels should be reinstalled?
Has anyone else had any bad experiences as a result of not having these panels
installed?
     We've all had the bad experience of pulling the panel for the first time
and discovering what was behind it causing the rust through in the fender.
     TIA

     Bill Brewer
     Tehachapi,
CA