TR3A Split Steering Column

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3A Split Steering Column
From: richard triplett <rtriplett25@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 08:08:39 -0800 (PST)
Got this email, and can't help, as I haven't gotten to
the steering yet. Hope someone can help this
individual.

Email: J_Veillon@computron.net

Comments: Dear Richard:
     I have a 1960 TR-3A with a split steering column.
 I have been
working on the steering for several months.  The upper
column had a lot
of slop in it.  The column would move inside the the
tube that bolts
onto onto the dashboard.  I took the steering wheel
off and took out the
upper column.  There was no bushing for the upper
column to ride on.
There was a leather strap that was wrapped 3/4 of the
way around the
upper column to keep the column from riding on the
outer tube.  That was
all.  I looked in the Moss cataloge.  It showed a
bearing and an anti
rattle ring.  I ordered both.  I have them now and I
still am having
trouble.  I can't figure out how the bearing fits
inside the tube and
outside the upper column.  I contacted Moss Motors and
they said they
thought it fitted on the lower end of the column but
they had no
information on the split column configuration.  They
were wrong.  The id
of the outer tube is too small to allow the bearing to
go in at the
lower end.  The upper end of the outer tube has the
proper id but the
upper column has an od at the upper end that is too
large to allow the
bearing to fit over it.  This leaves me up a tree.  Do
you know how the
split steering column goes togeather, or do you know
someone who might
know?  I would bless your name if you could help me
with any
information.

                                        Thank you

                                        John Veillon