Re: TR3A Split Steering Column

To: rtriplett25@yahoo.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3A Split Steering Column
From: BPAULTR3@aol.com
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 12:13:05 EST
In a message dated 10/29/2002 9:10:46 AM Mountain Standard Time,
rtriplett25@yahoo.com writes:

<< Do
 you know how the
 split steering column goes togeather, or do you know
 someone who might
 know?  I would bless your name if you could help me
 with any
 information. >>

On the upper end there is just a felt bushing which wraps the inner column
and snugs inside the upper end of the outer column.  You can soak it in oil
if you wish. Moss part number 520-050. I'm pretty sure also that there is a
nylon bushing which fits inside the lower end of the upper part of the
steering tube.  It is difficult to fit but it can be done.  If memory has not
failed, there is a round opening in the side of the outer tube and a 'button'
on the nylon bushing which fits into that round opening, popping out from the
inside to keep the nylon bushing in position.  I have one of the nylon bits
somewhere. I seem to remember the nylon was split and it was possible to
overlap the split and squeeze the thing together to reduce the size and fit
the whole affair into the outer column where it would expand to fit the iner
diameter of the tube.
.
I have the upper part of the split column out in the garage somewhere but I
can't locate it just now.  Of course the lower assembly is right there!

Now all this thinking, except the upper felt bushing, might also apply to an
early Morgan, err or was it that Allard, or Hmmm the Ace, naw, It had to be
the TR3A split column.
Bob Paul
Corrales NM