RE: Another potential benefit of a 5-speed conversion for TRs

To: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Subject: RE: Another potential benefit of a 5-speed conversion for TRs
From: Skip Montanaro <skip@pobox.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 22:52:49 -0600
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
    Randall> 1) What happens when the hydraulics start to leak ?  (Hint :
    Randall>    pull the transmission)

Well, yeah, but that doesn't sound any worse than what many people currently
go through with their current (ancient, well-worn) setups.  The blurb
states, "... A new clutch throw-out mechanism is recommended.  HVDA offers a
hydraulic one with steel braided hoses, designed for racing, for $220.
There is an option for a mechanical clutch throw-out bearing...."  From
this, I infer that if the possibility of leakage gives you the willies you
can stick with a hydro-mechanical setup.  I'm not sure what to make of
"designed for racing" other than that it's probably somehow over-designed
for street use.  (Of course, it might mean, "We anticipate you pull your
engine for a complete teardown after every couple of club meetings, so
what's a little fluid leakage between friends?", but I sort of doubt it. ;-)

    Randall> 2) How do you adjust the TOB (hint ...)  I found it very
    Randall>    difficult to believe, but at last year's Triumphest, Herman
    Randall>    stated the bearing had to be shimmed towards the clutch, and
    Randall>    shims removed as the clutch wears.

That I have no idea about.

Skip