RE: Another potential benefit of a 5-speed conversion for TRs

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Another potential benefit of a 5-speed conversion for TRs
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 17:16:51 -0800
> The purpose of the phone call was to discuss his hydraulic
> throwout bearing
> addon.  It replaces everything in the current hydro-mechanical
> system except
> for the clutch master cylinder.  Sounds like it might cure the perpetual
> clutch problems people have with their TR's.  As currently designed it
> probably requires the use of his 5-speed kit, but those of you
> looking for a
> more permanent solution to clutch problems but who want to retain your
> current might ask Herman how difficult it would be for him to
> adapt that to
> the TR tranny.
>
> No financial interest except for the fact that I just added one to my list
> of stuff to buy, and will thus be a bit poorer when the journey is
> complete. ;-)

Skip, two things you might want to ask Herman ...

1) What happens when the hydraulics start to leak ?  (Hint : pull the
transmission)

2) How do you adjust the TOB (hint ...)  I found it very difficult to
believe, but at last year's Triumphest, Herman stated the bearing had to be
shimmed towards the clutch, and shims removed as the clutch wears.

Randall